Thursday, January 28, 2010

My dads comments from his first day gone...

Day 1---Thursday Jan. 28th
On the plane. After four hours of waiting, visiting, and hugging we are almost on our way. This is no ordinary flight. At least if the last 5 minutes have been any indication. Pres. Studdert thanks us for being here. Then Senator Orin Hatch’s Secretary read us a letter that the senator addressed to the task force thanking us for the sacrifice we are making. Then a sister sang “Because I have been given much”. Really? I am returning to Haiti after 18 years and we get to hear my favorite hymn ever written. The one hymn that I actually wrote a verse in Haitian. I cannot hear that hymn and not think of the Haitian people. Then we all sang “Love One Another” and President Gary Worthington said the opening prayer. Only then did we get the safety announcement. We are in the air now 3 hours and 25 minutes to Orlando where we will refuel and confirm our spot at the Port au Prince airport. I am sitting next to Scott Hilton and Kathy Brown. Everyone who knows me knows that I do not talk on airplanes…I sleep…plain and simple…but not today. Stories of families, missions, wards and love are the call of the day. I know that at some point this will turn into a training session but not yet. We are just taking a moment to get to know our new “family”.
I Spent the last hour and a half teaching creole lessons. How cool is that? A bishop from Millcreek Utah and a retired nurse chatting in creole.

No comments:

Post a Comment